One of my favourite healthy tofu recipes!
After going a little crazy over the holidays and eating every piece of food in sight, my partner and I decided that it was time to think more carefully about our health and what we eat. Over the winter months (and due to lockdown), we were able to try out a bunch of new restaurants to satisfy our foodie cravings. And support local restaurants at the same time (win win!). We’ve had some really incredible meals over the last few months, but we realized it might be a good idea to consider some healthier options.
Enter this healthy tofu recipe: Buffalo Tofu Tacos! My favourite tacos are packed full with flavours and offer lots of variety in terms of toppings 😃. This taco recipe is just that, and it’s easy to whip together on a busy week night.
Buffalo Tofu Tacos
Spice up any week night with this healthy tofu recipe that’s easy to whip together in 25 minutes.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Sprinkle a plate with your 1/3 cup of flour and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch by 1 inch cubes and toss them around on your plate of flour so that each cube is evenly coated.
- Pour your 1/2 cup of canola oil into a large sauce pot or frying pan. Heat it on high for 3-4 minutes or until small bubbles start to form.
- Place each tofu cube carefully into the oil. Keep an eye on your tofu and flip each cube until golden brown.
- Once the tofu golden brown and crispy, transfer the tofu onto a plate layered with a sheet of paper towel. The paper towel will absorb any excess oil and make sure the tofu doesn’t get soggy.
- While the tofu sits, combine your red pepper and onion into a frying pan and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Transfer your pepper and onions into a bowl.
- Arrange your guac and coleslaw in separate bowls.
- Transfer the cooked tofu into a bowl and toss in buffalo sauce.
- Put some tortillas on your plate, add the buffalo tofu and your desired toppings, and enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- We used mini tortillas, but you can also choose 7 inch, 10 inch, whole wheat or gluten free options.
- As you can see in the image on the right, the tofu in hot oil goes a little crazy! Make sure you have a utensil that is long enough to flip each cube so that you don’t get splattered by the oil.